Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spray on foam for a roof

wrote:

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 12:07:43 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 14:37:54 -0400, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

A google search for spray foam insulation will turn up a list of companies
selling the stuff, there are some options for slow rise (for filling walls),
fire retardant, and I saw one anti-microbial. For the standard stuff prices
seem to be $565-600 for a kit to do 600 board feet (600 square feet one inch
thick, about R6). I checked on this a few years ago when I was thinking of
doing the "ceiling" of my crawlspace and the prices were exactly the same
but the crash put those kinds of spending plans on hold, sigh, so I can't
recommend a particular vendor. FWIW,
www.tigerfoam.com seems to have decent
instructions :-).

This sobered me up. I don't think I want to chance a bad foam job.
Dead fish smell, eh? Lovely! http://goo.gl/IDB9x
Amine sensitivity isn't harmful? (from other links)

Pass!

Have an experienced contractor do the job - the DIY kit is NOT the
same. The good stuff is sprayed and I believe there is heat involved -
not sure if it is an exothermic reaction only, or if the stuff is
heated as part of the application process. My Dad's last two houses
both had spray foam - both done by the same local contractor. There
are two big well-known contactors in the area that likely do 80% or
more of the spray foam insulation in the area.

Microdyne had a contractor foam their three 40,000 square foot
buildings, along with the two enclosed 50 foot connectors. The
contractor brought several large trailer loads of 55 gallon drums of the
two part foam, and worked for over a week to apply it. They had a few
leaks where they stopped for each day and had to cut notches and fill
them with more foam. The chemicals were photo degradable, and a lot of
the employees took them home for recycling containers. Shipping had the
giant can opener to cut the tops out of the drums without leaving a
sharp edge.