Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Spray on foam for a roof

. 3.70...
"Carl Ijames" fired this volley in
:

That's about 1/3rd the cost just to buy the spray foam to diy!

FWIW, they use a bulk tank mixer apparatus on a trailer, and apparently
can
do this quite inexpensively. Their labor is almost nada... they do about
50sq.ft. per minute standing up, and I imagine they hire agile little
Mexican guys (down here) to crawl around under houses on their backs.

They even gave me some references to check out.

LLoyd

I worked for a refrigeration company in Southern Louisiana that sold walk in
coolers and freezers. They made them out of wood frames, metal skins, and a
two element expanding foam shot into the molds. Hydraulic presses kept the
pieces from bulging. A couple of times, mistakes were made, and the
pressure blew the hydraulic presses from their floor anchorings.

They also offered the services of spraying the two element foam onto
existing structures and refrigeration buildings, at a cost much less than
replacement, particularly in older structures. It added a high r value
also, which could convert a struggling box and system into an efficient one
at a low cost. This foam skinned over with a hard shell, adding a water
barrier to its benefits. One of the elements was methyl ethyl ketone, some
fairly nasty stuff when aerosolized into the air, or even just skin contact.
That was in 1976, probably before all this tree hugger falderal.

They had long wands that looked like a pressure washing rig, just two pipes
going up to the spray nozzle. Aim, spray, and let it dry. They could do
enormous areas in a very short time. Trick was to know how much it was
going to expand, and spraying the right amount on there the first time. A
one coat perfect spray was better than a seamed two coat spray.
Overspraying just added a little weight, but more r value, and less of a
profit.

Steve