Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Leviton GFCI Receptacle Questions

On 9/11/2011 8:11 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

I have a Leviton GFCI duplex receptacle, bought at ACE, that I installed
a few years back, and no longer
have the instruction sheet for. I have a note that the model No. is 8599

It's the pretty typical 2 outlet type, with the black and red
pushbuttons between the outlets.

It does Not have the little green test light/power indicator light in
the corner that I noticed the new models apparently come with.

Would like to test it out, as anything i plug into it does not work.
The house circuit breaker for it is Not tripped.

How do I test it please:

If I press the black "Test" button in, is the red "Reset" button
supposed to pop-out ?
If it does, or doesn't, what does this indicate ?

If it doesn't pass the test it is defective assuming you verified there
is power. There really isn't much else you can do.

As long as both buttons are in (depressed positions), which they are,
should it be working ?

If anyone could tell me how to test the functionality of the gadget,
would be most appreciative. Not too sharp with this stuff, so fairly
detailed steps would be appreciated.

Am most interested in why it doesn't supply power, rather than the GFCI
aspects.

BTW: these things have a history of usually being pretty reliable ?

Thanks,
Bob