Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Any spray foam that can expand / cure in a closed bag?

On 9/10/2011 9:50 PM, Home Guy wrote:
I'm trying to apply some expanding foam to the inside of a closed
garbage bag that's situated between two surfaces that are about an inch
apart. I want the foam to take the shape of the irregular surfaces as
it expands and hardens, but I don't want the foam to adhere or bond to
these surfaces so I've placed an ordinary plastic garbage bag between
them and that's where the foam is being injected.

I'm discovering that the small amount of foam that's leaking out of the
fill-holes is expanding and curing nicely, but the foam inside the bag
seems to be semi-solid goop. I'm leaving this over night to see if it's
any better tommorrow, but I'm thinking I'm going to need a different
sort of product other than "Big Stuff" aerosol can gap filler.

I know there's some foam packing material that is isin't particularly
messy and I think is applied inside a bag or membrane that conforms to
the shape of what-ever is being shipped. Is this stuff available?

Any other ideas?

You are on the right track, but I don't think anybody sells one-use
packs of the stuff- it is usually a station on the packing line, fed
from tanks. I don't suppose your project is portable enough to carry
into one of those shipping places?

--
aem sends....