Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default simple, cheap lumber rack

On 9/8/2011 7:14 PM, kansascats wrote:
OK.. been toiling with this for years.

The other day, in Lowes, I spot 12" x 14" L-bracket shelf supports
rated at 100 lbs. So I figure 4 of those mounted to a 2x4, mounted to
my shop wall studs and spaced 12" vertically apart or so and that
should be adequate. I ran some calcs based on wood density and a
stack of 12" oak that is 10" wide would average out to less than 100#
per support.

oak 50#/cuft
50 x 8' x 12" x 10" / 4 supports = 83 # / support

What am I missing?

Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla -- instanct lumber rack for
$2 a support ($8 per row)

My first shop had exposed rafters and I made this lumber rack out of
1x6's and 2x4's, which worked well.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/WoodStorage.jpg

My current shop has a finished ceiling, so I built this one, which works
also but I had a bunch of free pipe laying around:

http://jbstein.com/Flick/PipeWoodRack.jpg

This style, which you are contemplating, works well because you can use
the space underneath for tools and stuff.

A year or 2 ago, I built this one:

http://jbstein.com/Flick/LumberCart.jpg
http://jbstein.com/Flick/LumberCart2.jpg

This last one is great. It holds more wood than you can imagine in very
little space. I have it right next to my table saw at 90° so the wood
is all highly visible, highly accessible. It has tons of storage for
all the short stuff that's a PIA to store on wall racks, and all the
long boards, and all your plywood, in one compact space saving place:-)

It's not hard to make, and really doesn't cost much although it should
have steel wheels on it. It's a bear to move fully loaded. This thing
has plans all over the internet if you need them. I used wafer board for
the walls, much cheaper and works fine.

I don't even use the old rack any more. When I built it I thought it
would take up a lot of space, but surprisingly, it doesn't.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com