Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Should I expect this from all house painters?

On Sep 9, 9:17*am, " wrote:
ransley: *Why do you think I paid them?

Don Phillipson: *Instead of TV or newspapers, which I didn’t think
about, I am reviewing the company online. *I have asked the contractor
to redo the work.

George: *What does it matter when I asked them? *They didn’t do it.
But thanks for letting me know you think it is standard practice.

: *Why do you think they didn’t power wash? *I
asked for the job to be completed properly. *The contract talked about
power washing, caulking, and generic prep. *Thanks for letting me know
you think the windows should have been cleaned. *Who cares whether
they choose to brush or spray? *They should do the job right either
way. *I didn’t tell them about the plants while it was occurring,
because I wasn’t there (who can take off every day of work to watch
the painters?). *I can withhold some reasonable amount from the final
payment only if my local contract laws allow and only if I have
reasonable proof I will suffer financial damage, i.e. the plants will
need to be replaced.

Because you "asked for it" doesn't mean that was what was agreed
to in writing... All we have to go on is your word and since you are
asking here what is normal for painters to do, you are clearly not
CERTAIN as to what should be done by painters...

Your lack of supervision of work being performed by a contractor is
not the contractor's problem... Your agreement "contract" did not
inform the contractors that they need to take EXTREME precautions
around your plants... Unless the plants *die* your painter will not
have to replace them -- as they will grow back after being
disturbed...

If you really had cared about the plants, you would have either had
someone there to supervise while the work was being done or would
have made clear in writing that no plantings were to be disturbed...

Sounds like you will have to chalk this one off as a learning
experience
as you did not declare and define your standards and expectations
in writing -- what you think is reasonable may not be if there is no
other way to access the area to be painted safely...

You can not go back after the fact and try to hold an unsupervised
contractor responsible for items you neglected to specify in advance
and since you voluntarily decided not to supervise the work in
progress
you gave up any ability to renegotiate the conditions of the work as
it took place and have to live with what you have unless you can prove
intentional vandalism of your property...

Evan: *I gave as much detail as needed. *What do geographic labor
rates have to do with performance? *I paid more than average.

Because what you THINK is average may be wrong... Again we only
have your word to go on and you haven't disclosed any dollar amounts
so that the ACTUAL "reasonableness" of what you paid can be
debated...

I don't feel as though you have the right skill set and knowledge to
be
able to determine what is reasonable or not in this circumstance --
you sound a lot more like a ****ed off plant owner who now has
buyer's remorse...

~~ Evan