Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default (OT) How do DVRs work?

On Sep 9, 12:47*pm, George wrote:
On 9/9/2011 4:21 AM, wrote:

What I'm most interested in doing, is just recording a movie off the
air, or saving something off the news, such as when a tornado did
severe damage in a nearby town in June, I now have a video tape with 5
minutes of news on it. *Really what I want most is just a digital
"VCR", something to record to in digital format, and where I can edit
it, out the commercials or parts I dont want, and maybe save it to
DVD, or turn a few minutes of tv news coverage into a youtube (like)
sort of video.

Not much point of saving to DVD except maybe if you want to give a copy
to someone. The whole niceness of a DVR is you get to move away from the
limited and tedious VCR concept of having to have stacks of media that
you manually change.

Not much point? How about if you record an NFL game for example that
you want to KEEP a copy of?