Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default (OT) How do DVRs work?

On 9/9/2011 6:26 AM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 22:49:56 -0400, "Ed wrote:

wrote

I was told it was one of the poorest brand/models, a Tomtom model One.
Either way, the only way I'd ever own another GPS is if it's given to
me free, and would probably use up shelf space in the closet.

I've driven for about 40 years without a GPS, using free maps from the
D.O.T. and I always got where I was going with little problem. Using
maps, I occasionally wasted a couple miles and 15 minutes of time.
With that GPS, I once wasted over 100 miles and 2 1/2 hours.

I've used a Garmin for a few years now. Handy device if used properly. Like
you, I've travelled cross country a couple of times using regular maps.
Even with the GPS, I use a map to see just where I'm going. I can drive to
any major city in the US with no map at all, just a little knowledge of
geography. If I wanted to attend the Indy 500 race, I know I have to cross
PA, then OH, and into IN. What I use the GPS for is once I'm in the general
area, it will guide me to the motel, or Bob's house, or whatever.

It's pretty easy to navigate the Interstate system, cross country. ;-)

They are not perfect, but they do work. I also have preferences the gps
does not have. An electronic device finds the shortest or fastest route
based on pre-programmed information. There may be "better" routes though,
if you have driven that way before. The computer does not know that a
particular town is awash with school busses so the next street over is
easier, and that type of thing, but it will take you to the destination you
asked for.

It also doesn't know that a particular route is a RPITA during rush hour. All
roads (at an equal hierarchy) are the same.

the newer ones do if you subscribe to the road alert service. it can get
realtime info on road traffic and reroute accordingly.

I have a Magellan. The thing has a habit of giving the wrong directions but
displaying the correct information (sometimes). Very annoying. It is still
better than a map for navigating a large city. I would never buy a Magellan
again. I'll likely replace it with a Garmin.

i have a tomtom that i bought for a trip to italy. when you're presented
with a roundabout with 7 exits, each having a signpost for between 4 and
10 different towns, non-english advisement signs, and high traffic, it's
wonderful to be told 'take the 3rd exit'. my previou trip to italy had
me going around the roundabouts a few times before i could figure out
where to get spit out.