Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repairing hundreds of yards of black thin-walled half-inchirrigation tubing

On Sep 9, 9:29*am, U vigilance wrote:
On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 21:00:46 -0700, wrote:
they usually
don't trench it, they just pull it with a tractor that makes a slit in
the ground. *

Thats interesting. Here, it's along both sides of a driveway so they
could drive up and down the driveway, with a slitter to the sides.

The only problem might be the bushes themselves are grown out to the
driveway, even though they're planted about 18 to 25 inches (or so) back
from the driveway. They could have been planted in the 80's when the
house was built! (I don't know.)

Also, apparently you don't know if this has heads, is drip, etc? *That's
another factor. *

It has little quarter inch (or a bit smaller) tubes running out at
intervals, from what I can see popping above the leaf debris & rocks that
used to cover the entire hedge floor.

Sounds like it may be an amateur job because for that
length of run pro would typically be pulling 1" pipe.

I doubt this was amateur simply based on everything else at the house is
professional. I'm amateur! But not the people before me!

They do have at least two pipes together on each side, so, I assume the
first pipe does half the bush while the other does the other half - but I
don' know that for certain until I flush it with water to see what
happens.

I use it a lot. I don't bury any of it, I just cover it with mulch.
Why bury it? If they are running pipes down the sides it might be the
irrigation syle with built in drippers. That's typically 1/4"
though. You can also insert drippers directly into the 5/8 at each
bush.

Frankly I woul dnot spend any time trying to figure out what's there
isyou see that the pipe has holes in it and is old. Just start from
scratch. I suggest the 1/4" with built in drippers for a row of
bushes. Run 5/8" to one end and then run two pieces of 1/4" with
drippers down each side. That's how I irrigate my row of blackberry
bushes.