Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default (OT) How do DVRs work?

On 9/8/2011 8:46 AM, George wrote:
(snip)

Much better to go with the HD version Happauge card or adapter. They
aren't expensive. First the quality issue as you noted. Quality will be
much better because those boxes were a kludge to convert DTV to
modulated NTSC. So using the RF input (none of those boxes offer any
other outputs by design)

Uh, wrong- all of the low-end DTV boxes I have also offer the VCR-style
R-W-Y cable option. Noticeably better picture than the 'channel 3'
game-style RF output. If his old TV has inputs for R-W-Y of course. My
ancient Hauppage has the jacks, which I assume are for input, but have
never really played with.

--
aem sends...
would mean two conversions with the first