Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default What parts of a pool motor need replacement?

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 12:40:16 -0700, Abol wrote:

Here's what I roughly calculate:
- Buying a new motor, about $250
- Having someone overhaul my existing motor, about $150
- Doing it myself, about $75 (in parts)

That includes a new:
- pump o-ring
- inner & outer viton/buton & ceramic/carbon seal
- Inner & outer sealed motor bearings

Since I have four motors, and since I don't want to have a professional
come out to my home to replace them (by law, they must replace the entire
system, including the $1000 controller to convert to multi-speed), I think
it's best for me to learn how to maintain them myself.

Go for it.

Are the bearings pressed on / off (I do not know)? That might get
you a tool or a visit to the local shop.