Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair
John S[_4_] John S[_4_] is offline

Default Contactor coil: 50 Hz vs. 60 Hz

On 8/29/2011 1:21 AM, DaveC wrote:
I may be able to obtain a very small 2-pole 240 vac contactor I need rated
for 50 Hz only.

If I install it in N. America, what's the implication? Is the hold-in
magnetism less than if it were 60 Hz? Just noisy?

Hi, Dave -

Magnitisim is less.

Noisy depends on many things.

Please don't ask or suggest other sources. This is a very specific device and
I've not been able to locate other than this.

Thanks,
Dave

You should look at the manufacturer's specifications. The 50/60 Hz will
not matter much except for one thing: the coil current will be reduced
to ~50/60 of its nominal value (~83.3%) because of the coil inductance
(it has to do with total impedance, but this is a best guess without
knowing more about your contactor). Usually, the manufacturer will list
the minimum voltage the coil can handle.

At this point, my best guess is that the coil will suffer a 15% loss of
excitation voltage. If the mfr says that's too low, you may be in
trouble at low line.

Cheers,
John