Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default [OT] Roofing Sheet Metal

fired this volley in
:

The "off Ridge" vents work great on the downwind side, but I'd be a
little uncomfortable with them facing the prevailing winds. (a whole
lot less effective even if they don't leak)

Yeah,but (my life is dedicated to the "yeah, but..")

That is an installation criterion. Let's face it, if someone places a
horizontally-oriented "heat vent" where it will face _continuous_
prevailing winds, he's a moron! G

OTOH... most of our Summer winds in Florida are from the southwest. Yet,
although my vents are on the West or South sides of the roof, they do a
bang-up job of reducing the attic temperature. Rarely (and this isn't
obvious) cool air is injected into the attic via the vents, and hot air
exits via the soffits under the induced pressure.

Additionally (I'll reiterate) the baffles are so constructed as to not
allow impinging wind to enter the vent. That's how they avoid leaking
rain into the attic. It goes OVER the vent, creating a "Bernoulli
effect" suction as it blows.

So it works either way!

LLoyd