Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Source for 55 gallon plastic drum ?

On 9/7/2011 10:08 PM, Jasprt2 wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/cleanin...drum-5145-.htm
Jasprt2 wrote:
Uh, "haul" ...like in a truck?
There are regs against that (DOT) in the U.S. which is why you can't find
any ready made poly transition tanks. I think 5gals is the max for poly
fuel containers (in the US)
If you have the space on your property you might consider a large metal
storage tank (100 to 1000 gallons) and fuel companies deliver to you, so
the transport is not an issue. Sometimes cheaper as well.

James wrote:

I would like to own a 55 gallon drum , preferably made of plastic. I
want
this to be able to haul K-1 kerosene fuel for my oil heaters. I
suppose
I could use a metal drum but prefer the plastic as it would be so much
lighter.

I have looked at Northern Industrial Tools and at Harbour Freight, but
find nothing like this.

Any ideas of a source for this ?

Thanks

James

The best solution is to go to a place such as TSC and get a proper
transfer tank, and a pump to go with it. A poly tank is not an viable
option (as Jasprt2 says.)

Realize that even 55 gallons will be heavy, and difficult to move.
Kerosene weighs almost 7 pounds per gallon, so a 55 gallon tank would
hold about 385 pounds of fuel, plus the weight of the container. You
want to handle almost 400 pounds of flammable substance in a plastic
container? (I don't think so!) The weight difference between plastic and
steel is not that great considering the weight of the fuel inside.

TSC, Northern Tool, and a few other companies are your friend here.

--
I'm never going to grow up.