Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jw@myplace.com is offline

Default (OT) How do DVRs work?

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 02:14:33 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 00:27:04 -0500,
wrote:

It seems that as I get older the less I can keep up with technology.
Or maybe its because the stuff is changing to damn fast.

Anyhow, I recall it was not all that long ago when everyone was buying
VCRs and they were the craze. Looks like they are now obsolete.
however I still use mine to record a tv program I want to see but at
another time than they have it on the air. Or maybe I want to record
a football game or movie to save.

I keep seeing tv ads for these DVRs now. They appear to be the
replacement for the VCR, but the commercials say they can record
several programs at the same time. I sure dont understand how they
can record more than one show at a time...... Then again, how do they
work at all? Do they need some sort of media, such as a tape, CD/DVD,
or memory stick? Can the program be saved permanently, or is it just
to watch the program delayed?

Another thing, it's a satellite tv company advertising them. Is it
even possible to use them on a tv antenna, or are they limited to only
satellite tv?

I just have a basic tv on an antenna, no cable or satellite, no hdtv,
no surround sound or any of that expensive stuff. I'm satisfied with
what I have, tv is not a major part of my life, but I do on occasion
want to watch a show at a different time than it's aired, and once and
awhile, save some program. Is a DVR worth buying, (for my needs), or
am I best sticking with my VCR?

One other thing, if the programming can be saved, is it possible to
edit out commercials and other unwanted stuff on a computer, or would
that be on the tv?

Thanks

A DVR is basically just a PC (in a small case with a special
interface) that records TV on a hard drive. When they say they can
record more than one channel that means they have more than one tuner.
The only one I know of that will export to a PC is a ReplayTV and they
don't have a digital tuner for your over the air broadcasts.

If you are not getting one from the cable or satellite company, you
might be as well off getting a PC set up to run Microsoft Media
Center.
Tivo is anther option but I am not sure how much they have progressed.
The old ones still did not have the digital tuner you need.

Since I have a DTV converter for my older tv set, is there a way to
pipe that DTV box right into a computer? If so, what sort of card
would be needed on the computer? I wouldn't mind taking an older
computer and making it specific for recording tv programs.

I do NOT have any cable or satellite, just an antenna connected to a
DTV box.