Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] oparr@hotmail.com is offline

Default Sieg mini-mill CNC conversion

On Sep 7, 8:33*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

* * * * I suspect that I might have tried punching a hole in the roaster
pans to pass the rod through, just to minimize radiation heating of the
rest. *I presume that the wrapping was soaked in a coolant of some sort
to keep conducted heat down to a minimum.

The pan is filled with water. The white towel is soaking in it. I'm
guessing that you can't see that because one of the issues with that
Pbase site is that the default image viewing size is large until the
viewer changes it to another size. The rinky-dink large size hides too
much detail. Those images were resized before uploading so that they
are best viewed at the "original" size like this;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/image/137803386/original

Probably should have mentioned that in the OP. You only need to choose
original once and all subsequent images will be viewed at the original
size.

* * * * And the interesting thing is that while the holders are cheap
enough in sets, the inserts (alone -- not in the sets) cost more than
those for serious industrial tooling in my experience -- both based on
prices from MSC. *For most turning, I use the Aloris BXA 16N
(negative-rake) double ended holder, and inserts with grooves such that
while the holder is negative rake, the net effect is that of positive
rake -- but I still get the ability to turn the inserts over for three
more points, if I don't do something to chip them badly. :-)

Between Ebay, Enco and MSC I should be able to find suitable upgrades.

* * * * Yes -- collets if you have them large enough and can handle
through spindle diameters large enough for the workpiece. *The aluminum
or copper wire might work with chuck jaws which did not have those
precisely spaced grooves. *Aside from the makeshift collet which I
described above (quoted), an alternative would be shims of aluminum
between each jaw and the workpiece, likely with an 'L' bend in the end
to let you stop them against the end of the jaws.

Honestly, in the absence of collets, I would probably just chuck the
ballscrews directly in the chuck if I had to do it again. It's no big
deal IMO. But thanks for the suggestion. Someday soon I'll get me a
collet holder and a set.