Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Ceiling fan/light wiring options

On 9/7/2011 5:44 PM, wrote:
On Sep 7, 5:31 pm, wrote:
Oren wrote:
On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 15:51:57 -0400,
wrote:

The alternative would be to run the power to each wall switch and
then do 3-wire connections up to the ceiling fan/lights etc. Any
suggestions as to which way would be easier and way would make the
most sense?

You will get great advice here....

I prefer fans and lights operate on a wall switch. All my rooms in
the house have wall switches. When I built our patio cover that's what
I did. These were wiring home runs from the panel. Each fan (two) and
light has its own switch. Better than pulling chains.... Even got two
receptacles (GFCI) out of the deal.

Thanks. I agree. The plan is that each ceiling fan/light will be
controlled from the wall switch, and each wall switch will have one switch
for the fan and one for the light. That is why I will be using 3-wire
instead of 2-wire between the wall switch(es) and each ceiling fan/light. I
may not have made that clear in my original post. The question for me is
about whether the 2-wire power (feed) would go to the fixture first or to
the wall switch(es) first.- Hide quoted text -

I don't see why you would want to run the power to
the light first. Running it to the switch box is the most
common way it's done. I'd also consider using remote
controls for the fans, as I find them easier to install and
more convenient. However, with it being a rental, the
wall switch might be a better idea.

Also keep in mind that arc fault breakers are required
for bedrooms and I believe living rooms too.

Arc faults are required now in most "habitable" rooms.