Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Steel vs. kevlar cable, breaking strength vs. working load?

On 2011-09-07, Gunner Asch wrote:
On 7 Sep 2011 00:11:26 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2011-09-06, Gunner Asch wrote:

[ ... ]

Ive owned about 10 sailboats in the past 20 yrs.

Quite a fleet for an individual.

Like machinery..if you have a knack for looking..you can often find
them..and in some of the damnest places.

Yes -- but you *work* around machine shops, so the machine tools
are easier to understand stumbling across. :-)

[ ... ]

I rather miss my old Thistle (1308) which I sold some years ago, as I
wasnt racing anymore and was short of crew..and I wanted someone to
enjoy it.

And a crew is really necessary except for minimum wind
conditions. I was accustomed to being crew. :-)

Ayup. Over 12 knots there about..one man in a Thistle is utterly
screwed..and probably wet when she goes over.

Sounds like a Chesapeake 20.

O.K. Looking it up, a bit smaller. So the crew must understand
"hiking". :-) I see that it is also a centerboard design.

Since the other half left..taking a huge chunk of my expenses with her
G last month,

[ ... ]

Im getting over it. Came as quite a shock..but I should have seen it
coming. Good days..and bad days. Like a death. Shrug. I was only
married to her for 38 yrs, off and on..mostly on. Last time she
ran..2001 or there abouts..I told her she would never be allowed back if
it happened again. And I do keep my word. She had serious medical
issues..and Ive cared for her for 10 yrs. Now that she decided she didnt
like living in a small town, and refused to work..wanted me to provide
everything on her terms..and left when I couldnt give her enough of
what she wanted..money and entertainment..shrug... its forever done.

I do honestly love her..but I cant provide life to her specs. So she
now gets to live with her son and daughter in law, two grand children,
in a basement apartment in Utah. All on the sons Social Security and the
daughter in laws welfare.Good luck on that.

Indeed. It does not sound like something which will provide her
desires, or even her needs.

She called and asked to be paid $200 a month until she could find a job
or get Social Security...and I told her Id think about it. And I
certainly did think about it. For an entire 100 nanoseconds. And the
answer is....no.

Understood. It is not as though you have that kind of money to
spare these days. If you did, she might not have decided to leave.

Shrug.

Now I have to get used to being by myself again, its not the first time.
Shrug again.

But..sigh...I do have good days..and bad days. And when she calls ..Ive
had to simply not answer..let them go to the voice mail. Ive zero
interest in talking to her any longer. I hope the feelings dont turn to
hate for her. Really. So now that she is gone....I try to keep her out
of my mind. Ill probably wind up hating her though, after some thought.
Which isnt all bad.

Good luck.

[ ... ]

It is a killer of a schedule, for sure.

160 miles each way..tends to wear out vehicles, eat up money for service
and fuel and tires...320 miles a week just to get to work. And at the
price of fuel/registration/parts etc etc....Its almost more than I can
afford. Not having very many customers anymore doesnt help either...10
went out of business..7 have left the state for friendlier climes.

Anyways..I went out to Buena Vista Lake this afternoon for Labor
Day..took a couple friends with me...no one had a sail boat out there.
Which surprised me. Perhaps sailing isnt as popular as it was once,
around here.

They would rather burn up gasoline?

Evidently so. Or they dont have the money to fix up the boats..and the
sit rotting in back yards.

That could be, I guess. But then they might not be able to
afford the fuel for the "stinkpots" either.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564