Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Panel saw plan or idea?

On Sep 6, 8:36*pm, Tom Gardner mars@tacks wrote:
I would really like to have a panel saw at home but they are costly.
Has anybody seen plans? *I don't need fancy, just to straight cut 4x8s
of ply and such. *The table saw method is unwieldy and I have some
projects that will use a lot of ply pieces. *The first project is
cabinets along the long wall in the garage.

I had plans at one time, think it was in a library book. Used a heavy-
duty window support unit, like a big clock spring in a box, to support
and counterbalance the skilsaw. Elementary guides were made out of
electrical conduit and HDPE, the rails and braces were 2x stock. I
didn't build one because I don't have the wall space and alignment
would have been a bugger.

What I DO have is a couple of fancy clamps, they span the 4' and 8'
directions, I just use them as guides. Same outfit now sells the same
clamping mechanism with a square J-hook on one edge and a baseplate
for the saw hooks onto that. Have a baseplate for routers, too.
Haven't felt the need, myself. A Workmate and a saw horse complete
the rig, it all takes down and stores in a corner. The clamps can be
had from the various woodworker's supply outfits, locally I've seen
them at both Rockler Hardware and Woodworker's Supply. I've built a
bunch of stuff using them, last project was the floor for my storage
hut, used a bunch of 3/4" pressure treated plywood on that. Bozos
didn't use any even fractions of a sheet, either, when they designed
the floor plans. Lots of cuts needed with lots of oddball scrap.

I've used my DeWalt contractor saw for ripping 4x8 sheets, you can get
extensions for side and back to do this single handed. It comes with
a rack and pinion adjusted fence that makes ripping to specific widths
dead easy. A roller or two helps, also. Get a good plywood blade
when you do this, the $6 cheapies are NOT the way.

One of the local big boxes will rip sheets, gratis, on their panel
saw, I've used this service to make small ones from big ones and make
it easier to cut to size later. You do have to do your layout work
before you go shopping. They don't guarantee exact size, either.

Stan