Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default Ceiling fan/light wiring options

From an earlier post, I have a top floor (second floor) apartment where the
ceilings in the living room, 2 bedrooms, and a small hallway have now been
removed. This was after the last tenant moved out and I am doing some
improvements to the apartment before a new tenant moves in.

Now that the ceilings are out, I want to add ceiling fan/lights in the LR
and each BR, and a new hallway light and a new BR closet light. The
electrical panel is on a wall in the apartment.

I think I may want to split this up into two circuits -- one with two
ceiling fan/lights (LR and one BR) and the closet light; and the other
circuit with the other BR ceiling fan/light and the hallway light. Or, I
could just put all 3 ceiling fan/lights and the hallway light and closet
light all on one circuit. Is either of these two options okay?

Also, for wiring the ceiling fan/lights and the hallway and closet light, I
think the easiest option would be to run the power through the ceiling to
each ceiling fan/light and the hallway and closet light -- then do a 3-wire
switch loop down to each ceiling fan/light control switch and a 2-wire
switch loop down to the hallway and closet light switches. Is there any
disadvantage to doing the wiring this way?

The alternative would be to run the power to each wall switch and then do
3-wire connections up to the ceiling fan/lights etc. Any suggestions as to
which way would be easier and way would make the most sense?

Thanks.