Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default What parts of a pool motor need replacement?

On 9/7/2011 7:14 AM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 07:09:19 -0700, wrote:

On 9/7/2011 6:31 AM,
wrote:

Also, if it comes time to replace, consider
a dual speed pump. Essentially they run at
low speed, circulate the water much longer
to move the same amount of water, but
still use like 40% less electricity. Can save
significant $$ on electricity. You would
also need a switch capable of doing 2 speed.
I'd only go with the basic two speed pumps,
not the full variable speed, electronic ones
as they cost so much more, I don't think
they are economically viable.

Those variable speed pumps are just insanely priced. The motors don't
draw less current at full speed (in fact they are rated at higher
current) the savings is apparently that you can run them much longer at
the lower speed and the power consumption goes up more than linearly
with speed. The pool store I go to also said that the life of those
pumps is about half what they see on older, single-speed, pumps.

What's the point? The rule of thumb I've always heard was that the water
should be "changed" daily. Whether that's done in 8 hours or 24, what's the
difference? I'd think the higher speed jet would mix the water in the pool
better, too.

Mixing isn't a problem at the lower speed.

I think originally the higher flows at higher motor speed were to
minimize the amount of time the pump needed to be on (since the noise
can be annoying). The lower flows at lower motor speed were introduced
to reduce power consumption since apparently running a motor twice as
long at half the speed uses less electricity.

The variable speed pumps cost over $1000. They have integrated timer
controls so it's one less controller on the wall. But who cares? The
Intermatic mechanical controller works fine.

Basically these variable speed pumps are "too much technology." The two
speed pumps have a toggle switch on the pump to select the speed, or can
be wired for a remote switch. But if electricity savings is the primary
concern you'd always run it at low speed anyway.

Pool pumps have a huge mark-up, and are heavily discounted, and the
least expensive ones are not necessarily the least powerful ones. So as
I stated earlier, in some cases you may want to run a larger two-speed
pump at lower speed, than a smaller one-speed pump at higher speed.