Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Panel saw plan or idea?

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 08:53:10 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Tom Gardner" mars@tacks wrote in message
m...
I would really like to have a panel saw at home but they are costly. Has
anybody seen plans? I don't need fancy, just to straight cut 4x8s of ply
and such. The table saw method is unwieldy and I have some projects that
will use a lot of ply pieces. The first project is cabinets along the long
wall in the garage.

I get good results from a Porter Cable 314 and clamped-on guide strips:
http://www.portercable.com/products/...roductID=11002

Cuuute! I think I'll opt for a 6-1/2" next time (maybe a Makita
SP6000K), once Dad's old Craftsman dies. It's not even getting
-noisy- after 40+ years. shrug I use my crosscut saw and ryoba more
than it, though. I haven't tried the Ryobi 4-1/2" 18v saw yet, but
the old 14.4v didn't have a battery life worth mentioning...unless you
were cursing.

A pass or two with a block plane removes any hiccups and edge splinters. For
furniture-grade work I clamp the panel upright between two B&D Workmates and
hit it with a longer two-hand plane. The high school wood shop teacher was
an old Swedish cabinet maker who taught us how to do good work with manual
tools instead of relying completely on expensive machinery. I can still cut
smooth flats and press-fit mortices on oak logs for pole sheds without
electricity.
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...97252388872754

You were a lucky schoolboy, Jim. Handy training.

It's made well enough that the sole plate edges are truly parallel to the
blade, unlike my Makita 9.6V panel saw. Both were second hand and used a
lot, the PC314 held up better. If it could cut through 2" lumber I'd use it
for everything.

Yeah, 4-1/2" is just too small to cut tubas.

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King