Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) How do DVRs work?

On Sep 7, 1:27*am, wrote:
It seems that as I get older the less I can keep up with technology.
Or maybe its because the stuff is changing to damn fast. *

Anyhow, I recall it was not all that long ago when everyone was buying
VCRs and they were the craze. *Looks like they are now obsolete.
however I still use mine to record a tv program I want to see but at
another time than they have it on the air. *Or maybe I want to record
a football game or movie to save.

I keep seeing tv ads for these DVRs now. *They appear to be the
replacement for the VCR, but the commercials say they can record
several programs at the same time. *I sure dont understand how they
can record more than one show at a time...... *Then again, how do they
work at all? *Do they need some sort of media, such as a tape, CD/DVD,
or memory stick? *Can the program be saved permanently, or is it just
to watch the program delayed? *

Another thing, it's a satellite tv company advertising them. *Is it
even possible to use them on a tv antenna, or are they limited to only
satellite tv? *

I just have a basic tv on an antenna, no cable or satellite, no hdtv,
no surround sound or any of that expensive stuff. *I'm satisfied with
what I have, tv is not a major part of my life, but I do on occasion
want to watch a show at a different time than it's aired, and once and
awhile, save some program. *Is a DVR worth buying, (for my needs), or
am I best sticking with my VCR?

One other thing, if the programming can be saved, is it possible to
edit out commercials and other unwanted stuff on a computer, or would
that be on the tv?

Thanks

They record to a internal hard drive. Most have two tuners which is
what allows them to record things while you watch something else or
record two things at one.

They do not allow you to edit the recording and most do not make it
convenient to move the recorded shows to some other media so that you
can edit it. Most people fast forward through the commercials.

Some people never watch live tv, they have the shows they want to
watch set to record. Then they watch them later and fast forward
through the commercials. I do it a lot myself. A 30 minutes show
takes about 20 minutes to watch.

As others have pointed out, they really are just a specialized pc.
That's the case for most everything electronic these days, smart
phones, ipods, tablets, dvrs, even newer tvs all are just specialized
pcs.