Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.railway
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Welding cast iron

On Jul 29, 12:21*pm, Andy Breen wrote:

I'm pretty sure the (main-line) use of flue-type fireboxes went out
before fusible plugs were introduced (the only case of the two
coming together on main-line locomotives that I can think of is that batch
of L&Y 0-8-0s which had the corrugated marine-type "fireboxes"). They
didn't last long like that.

Henry Hoy's batch of the L&YR Class 30.

I've done some wiki stuff about them, under the Hoy article. Ahrons'
''Development of British Loco Design'' has some photos, if I get time
to scan them. Strange thing is that they were a response to a firebox
problem that he'd caused himself, by specifying a new, and brittle,
alloy for the firebox rod stays.