Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default (OT) How do DVRs work?

On Sep 6, 10:27*pm, wrote:
It seems that as I get older the less I can keep up with technology.
Or maybe its because the stuff is changing to damn fast. *

Anyhow, I recall it was not all that long ago when everyone was buying
VCRs and they were the craze. *Looks like they are now obsolete.
however I still use mine to record a tv program I want to see but at
another time than they have it on the air. *Or maybe I want to record
a football game or movie to save.

I keep seeing tv ads for these DVRs now. *They appear to be the
replacement for the VCR, but the commercials say they can record
several programs at the same time. *I sure dont understand how they
can record more than one show at a time...... *Then again, how do they
work at all? *Do they need some sort of media, such as a tape, CD/DVD,
or memory stick? *Can the program be saved permanently, or is it just
to watch the program delayed? *

Another thing, it's a satellite tv company advertising them. *Is it
even possible to use them on a tv antenna, or are they limited to only
satellite tv? *

I just have a basic tv on an antenna, no cable or satellite, no hdtv,
no surround sound or any of that expensive stuff. *I'm satisfied with
what I have, tv is not a major part of my life, but I do on occasion
want to watch a show at a different time than it's aired, and once and
awhile, save some program. *Is a DVR worth buying, (for my needs), or
am I best sticking with my VCR?

One other thing, if the programming can be saved, is it possible to
edit out commercials and other unwanted stuff on a computer, or would
that be on the tv?

Thanks

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dvr.htm

HB