Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default OT Mega windfarm power question

I was driving down I65 this weekend and went through about a 10 mile
stretch of wind farm in Indiana. And I was wondering how they got all
that power back on the grid. Each one of those windmills has a
generator on top of it I assume. So each generator is generating an
alternating current, and no way in hell are all of those literally
thousands of generators going to be in phase... So I was wondering to
get the generated current back on the main grid efficiently dont they
have to have some kind of master controller to align the phase of all
those generators back to the timing of the main grid and lock it in?
If the phases were all random for those 1,000 windmills wouldn't there
be cancellation of the current flow when you try to pump it back to
the grid individually? Because by probability half the generators
would be out of phase with the other half and simply cancel each
others current flow. Or do they just time each generators phase angle
individually off a small control current from the grid, and let it
feed the grid right there?

Any electricians can shed some light on this?