Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Repairing hundreds of yards of black thin-walled half-inch irrigation tubing

"eternal vigilance" wrote in message
I have a very long line of rhododendron bushes which are hardy but are
starting to wilt.

I noticed the animals chewed right through the thin plastic in just a
couple of spots.

I can't for the life of me, find where the water comes from that feeds
this irrigation line (it has always been dry since I bought the place
from the bank, owner unknown to me).

To get a background on this thin piping, what is an accepted repair
procedure?

And, normally, how does it get it's water? I find no sprinkler electrical
box that feeds this line???

Snip off a 6" piece of it. Take it to a supplier, and buy an adapter to go
from a garden hose to it, or better yet, get a T so you can go into the line
at any point. Connect hose, adapter, and black line. Turn on hose. See
where water comes out, and repair accordingly. If it is water water
everywhere, you might reconsider and replace all. Maybe there is enough
still there to salvage with new plugs, feeder lines, and bubblers. It is
simple to double the ends over and put on the figure eight terminators if
the whole pipe is open on the end, and it is simple to buy some more tubing,
and splice and repair. Digging up several hundred yards of this sounds like
a big job. You might get lucky, and find that it was done in sections.
Don't forget to install a pressure reducer if you put on an automatic timer,
as water hammer will blow those little 1/4" fittings right out.

HTH

Steve

--
Please go to my facebook page, Heart Surgery Survival Guide and LIKE me so I
can get my domain name.

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide