Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Cable lift capacity

I was given two gear drive (manual) basketball goal lifters. They consist
of two gears, one on a drive spindle and one on the drum. These look
substantial, and came with 1/4" wire rope cable. They are Aalco A3 K500
hand winches.

http://www.aalcomfg.com/basketball5.html

I want to use the two of them as a boat lift for my 16' aluminum boat and
motor. I would estimate it at 1500-1700#, if that much.

I am going to basket rig it, deadmanning the hoist, going through two
pulleys, one at each end of a spreader bar, then up to a deadman on the
lifting beam. Under the spreader bar will be a 3" (approx.) nylon ratchet
strap that will cradle the underside of the boat front and rear. I want to
lift it just enough, about 6-12" so I can pull the trailer out and paint it,
work on the trailer, and do some work on the underside of the boat.

I have looked at these closely, and see no load rating. Went to their site
and requested a catalog that might have this info.

Is anyone familiar with these?

Steve

--
Please go to my facebook page, Heart Surgery Survival Guide and LIKE me so I
can get my domain name.

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide