Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sieg mini-mill CNC conversion

On 09/06/2011 11:03 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:

I do like your motor mounts and how you kept the manual operation. Do
you have an AC side switch so you can turn power off, move your machine,
and then turn power back on without frying your controller with back
current?

I did a servo conversion on a 150-Lb mini-mill, mostly as a demo to drag
to shows. You can hit E-stop and move the machine manually, and
then clear the E-stop and be back to CNC operation, without ever losing
the coordinate reference.

It is an ugly hack, as I use it for a test bed of various ideas, motors,
drives, etc. it even has rigid tapping capability.
See http://pico-systems.com/minimill.html

Jon