Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Sieg mini-mill CNC conversion

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 09:03:52 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

wrote in message
Conversion uses ubiquitous 5/8" ballscrews and ballnuts. However,
there should be enough off the beaten path that the hobbyist/
enthusiast may find interesting. A pictorial summary can be found
here;

http://www.pbase.com/eldata/d300_x2cnc

I have always been interested in the conversion projects. Very interesting.
The problem IMO is most conversions seem to be based around the smaller
mills like that. Is it just because they are such an inexpensive mill?

I'm not finished, but did you follow the conversion of my Matsuura
MC1000 VDC? The machine weighs in at 16,000 lb. Or my completed Mazak
M4 lathe. It only wieghs about 9,000 lb.

I do like your motor mounts and how you kept the manual operation. Do you
have an AC side switch so you can turn power off, move your machine, and
then turn power back on without frying your controller with back current?