Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Steel vs. kevlar cable, breaking strength vs. working load?

On 6 Sep 2011 04:18:02 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2011-09-05, Gunner Asch wrote:
On 5 Sep 2011 03:57:20 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

I just *have* to ask -- what do you do with a sailboat in the
desert? I presume that there is some water somewhere within trailering
range, but at today's fuel costs, I would consider it not very
practical.

[ ... ]

There are hummm 6 lakes within an hour driving time of my
homestead..several of them pretty good sized. Dams and a number of
county parks where the water is used for both recreation and ag.

O.K.

Plus the Pacific is within an hour and a half from my front door.

Not too bad, then.

[ ... ]

Google "california central valley lakes"

O.K. Thanks. Just when you said "desert", it sort of implied
no nearby water to me. :-)

[ ... ]

There are a couple big reserviors smack dab in the Mojave desert
too..and then we have Lave Havasu not far from Death Valley on the
California/Aridzona desert.

I grew up in South Texas -- and the only nearby water (other
than cattle tanks) was the Nueces river -- which was mud most of the
year. Lots of cactus, not much sailing opportunity. :-)

go to Google, click on images and enter
http://www.google.com/search?q=lake+havasu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Havasu

Oh..thats where the put the original London Bridge when they bought it
from London.....G

O.K. I remember that. A big fuss in the news about that. :-)

As for my area...

http://www.co.kern.ca.us/parks/fishing-boating.asp

Im within 15 minutes of Buena Vista....
45 minutes from Lake Ming,
1 hrs from Wollomes
1.5 from Isabella

http://www.co.kern.ca.us/parks/pdf/about-bv.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central...8California%29

Nice enough -- and lots more choices than I grew up around --
until I moved back to the Washington DC area with my folks (I was with
my grandparents), and where my father kept his boat in a river just off
the Chesapeake. For many of the years, it was a Wianno Sr. (25' gaff
rigged wooden-hulled, centerboard sloop), and the last years it was a
fibreglass Gladiator Marconi rigged. The centerboard gave quite an
advantage during certain races, because the Chesapeake has a lot of
shallow areas. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Ive owned about 10 sailboats in the past 20 yrs.

Currently I own a AMF Force 5 (13' mostly single hander), a mid 1970s
Esenada 20 and a '78 Hobi 16 and 3 windsurfers.

Im giving the Hobi away to a friend to putter with. He has been storing
the Ensenada 20 for the past 12 or so years...he wanted to buy it..but
never put in in the water. So I told him if he wanted the Hobi..put
tires on it, drag the Ensenada back to my place, and haull the Hobi
home. He agreed readily.

I recently gave away a '78 Chrysler 15 fishing boat, to a guy in
Bakersfield.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...atForSaleCHEAP

I rather miss my old Thistle (1308) which I sold some years ago, as I
wasnt racing anymore and was short of crew..and I wanted someone to
enjoy it.

Since the other half left..taking a huge chunk of my expenses with her
G last month, Im going to have to make some tough decisions. Doing
what Im doing..fixing machinery..hasnt been particularly lucrative for
the past 3 yrs...Californa manufacturing is..dying..Im probably going to
have to shut down my company and go to work for some oil industry
related firm, so Ill be home a lot more and will be able to use my toys
a lot more.

Still havent decided what to do yet..but Im going to have to do
something before the first of the year..or before. And frankly..after
working in LA for the past 12-14 yrs..driving down on Mondays or
Tuesdays..and coming home Fridays...Im getting damned tired of it.
It cost me a marraige in part...shrug...

Anyways..I went out to Buena Vista Lake this afternoon for Labor
Day..took a couple friends with me...no one had a sail boat out there.
Which surprised me. Perhaps sailing isnt as popular as it was once,
around here.

Gunner, about half done fixing up his '61 Royal Enfield/Indian
motorcycle.

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.