Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Steel vs. kevlar cable, breaking strength vs. working load?

On 2011-09-05, Gunner Asch wrote:
On 5 Sep 2011 03:57:20 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

I just *have* to ask -- what do you do with a sailboat in the
desert? I presume that there is some water somewhere within trailering
range, but at today's fuel costs, I would consider it not very
practical.

[ ... ]

There are hummm 6 lakes within an hour driving time of my
homestead..several of them pretty good sized. Dams and a number of
county parks where the water is used for both recreation and ag.

O.K.

Plus the Pacific is within an hour and a half from my front door.

Not too bad, then.

[ ... ]

Google "california central valley lakes"

O.K. Thanks. Just when you said "desert", it sort of implied
no nearby water to me. :-)

[ ... ]

There are a couple big reserviors smack dab in the Mojave desert
too..and then we have Lave Havasu not far from Death Valley on the
California/Aridzona desert.

I grew up in South Texas -- and the only nearby water (other
than cattle tanks) was the Nueces river -- which was mud most of the
year. Lots of cactus, not much sailing opportunity. :-)

go to Google, click on images and enter
http://www.google.com/search?q=lake+havasu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Havasu

Oh..thats where the put the original London Bridge when they bought it
from London.....G

O.K. I remember that. A big fuss in the news about that. :-)

As for my area...

http://www.co.kern.ca.us/parks/fishing-boating.asp

Im within 15 minutes of Buena Vista....
45 minutes from Lake Ming,
1 hrs from Wollomes
1.5 from Isabella

http://www.co.kern.ca.us/parks/pdf/about-bv.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central...8California%29

Nice enough -- and lots more choices than I grew up around --
until I moved back to the Washington DC area with my folks (I was with
my grandparents), and where my father kept his boat in a river just off
the Chesapeake. For many of the years, it was a Wianno Sr. (25' gaff
rigged wooden-hulled, centerboard sloop), and the last years it was a
fibreglass Gladiator Marconi rigged. The centerboard gave quite an
advantage during certain races, because the Chesapeake has a lot of
shallow areas. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564