Posted to rec.woodworking
Eric[_15_] Eric[_15_] is offline

Default Quick Electrial Question

"Dave" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 16:41:21 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

occasionally trips the GFI when I turn the fan on.

It's faulty.

Guess it might be. The fan has been in the bathroom for several years
so condensation could well have damaged the fan. I'll toss it just to
be safe. Thanks

=================
You may be wasting your money and effort.

Often this is a result of insulation cuts and nicks (drywall installation
etc.) that do not show up until you shut off an inductive motor or other
device.
When the circuit is broken those devices occasionally produce a high voltage
spike (counter EMF) and then the bad insulation spot shows up where the high
voltage arcs to ground or other wiring. This can trip your GFCI breaker
where it never tripped before.

This is not likely your fan but rather your wiring in the connection boxes.
If you want to replace the fan anyway, then it would be a good step to find
this annoyance. Disturbing the position of the wiring to change this out may
solve the problem also.

--

Eric