Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Steel vs. kevlar cable, breaking strength vs. working load?

On 5 Sep 2011 03:57:20 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2011-09-04, Gunner Asch wrote:
On 3 Sep 2011 23:13:39 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2011-09-02, Gunner Asch wrote:

[ ... ]

Ive had poor luck with Kevlar rope in my sailboats here in the desert,
particulaly during the hot summer months. Rig tight and a half hour
later..stuff is slack.

I just *have* to ask -- what do you do with a sailboat in the
desert? I presume that there is some water somewhere within trailering
range, but at today's fuel costs, I would consider it not very
practical.

[ ... ]

There are hummm 6 lakes within an hour driving time of my
homestead..several of them pretty good sized. Dams and a number of
county parks where the water is used for both recreation and ag.

O.K.

Plus the Pacific is within an hour and a half from my front door.

Not too bad, then.

Ive sailed on all of them and in fact..stepped aside after winning the
Sierra Sailing Assoc regattas, 4 yrs in a row...generating a bit of
miff..and became a race official for a few years, before going back and
winning again.

Nice!

Lots and lots of ski boats around the desert areas of California. We
have a lot of such lakes. We cant get it all from wells or the
California Aquaduct. Shrug.

Google "california central valley lakes"

O.K. Thanks. Just when you said "desert", it sort of implied
no nearby water to me. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

There are a couple big reserviors smack dab in the Mojave desert
too..and then we have Lave Havasu not far from Death Valley on the
California/Aridzona desert.

go to Google, click on images and enter
http://www.google.com/search?q=lake+havasu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Havasu

Oh..thats where the put the original London Bridge when they bought it
from London.....G

As for my area...

http://www.co.kern.ca.us/parks/fishing-boating.asp

Im within 15 minutes of Buena Vista....
45 minutes from Lake Ming,
1 hrs from Wollomes
1.5 from Isabella

http://www.co.kern.ca.us/parks/pdf/about-bv.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central...8California%29

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.