Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Steel vs. kevlar cable, breaking strength vs. working load?

On 2011-09-04, Gunner Asch wrote:
On 3 Sep 2011 23:13:39 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2011-09-02, Gunner Asch wrote:

[ ... ]

Ive had poor luck with Kevlar rope in my sailboats here in the desert,
particulaly during the hot summer months. Rig tight and a half hour
later..stuff is slack.

I just *have* to ask -- what do you do with a sailboat in the
desert? I presume that there is some water somewhere within trailering
range, but at today's fuel costs, I would consider it not very
practical.

[ ... ]

There are hummm 6 lakes within an hour driving time of my
homestead..several of them pretty good sized. Dams and a number of
county parks where the water is used for both recreation and ag.

O.K.

Plus the Pacific is within an hour and a half from my front door.

Not too bad, then.

Ive sailed on all of them and in fact..stepped aside after winning the
Sierra Sailing Assoc regattas, 4 yrs in a row...generating a bit of
miff..and became a race official for a few years, before going back and
winning again.

Nice!

Lots and lots of ski boats around the desert areas of California. We
have a lot of such lakes. We cant get it all from wells or the
California Aquaduct. Shrug.

Google "california central valley lakes"

O.K. Thanks. Just when you said "desert", it sort of implied
no nearby water to me. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564