Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawn Sprinkler System?

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 03:24:10 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

Basically, the pump runs until the pressure reaches the set maximum (I
think it's 60psi, IIRC). Then the pump shuts off and you use water
from the pressure tank.

As you draw down the water in the tank, the pressure will slowly drop
until it reaches the cut-in point (40psi, I think). Then the pump will
turn on to refill the tank (and supply water if you're still using
it).

However, if we use water faster than the pump can replenish it, the
pressure will continue to drop below that cut-in point. When it
reaches the low pressure limit (20psi, I think), it shuts down the
pump.

I understand the logic behind all of this, but doesn't the low
pressure limit then cause a latch-up condition? How do you get out of
it? Furnaces have similar (opposite) thresholds, but in that case the
system resets by convection cooling to below the safety threshold. In
this case I see no way to get above the 20psi threshold once it's
tripped. ...or even to start the ball rolling to begin with. ;-)

There is a lever on the switch that lets you run the pump manually.

If the low pressure switch is tripped, you have to hold the switch on 30
seconds or so until the pressure builds up above the low cutoff point.
It's not a big deal, but it's annoying to have to run up to the pump house
if it trips.

Thankfully, it is not something that occurs in normal use.

I see. Yes, that would be a PITA. The power entrance panel in our last house
was in a closet, outside on the front porch. It was rather a PITA to have to
go outside, after a shower, in the Vermont Winter, to reset the GFCI.
Fortunately, that didn't happen often, either.