Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Quick Electrial Question

On 9/4/2011 3:37 PM, Bill wrote:
Actually, when we bought the house 2 years ago, we pointed out the lack
of a GFCI outlet near the sink and the sellers put one in. So now, there
is a 15A GFCI outlet on a 20A circuit/circuit breaker. Should it be
swapped out with a 15A circuit breaker because of this? One could argue
that the C'Breaker IS protecting "the wire", no? Or is this a potential
hazard?

Not usually a problem - where the branch circuit supplies one duplex, or
two or more single receptacles - or a code violation in most locales. A
15A receptacle, standard or GFCI, is rated for 20A throughput.

Basically, it should be impossible by virtue of the plug configuration,
by today's standards, to plug anything in that would be in violation.

CAVEAT: again, this may not apply to all jurisdictions, as even the
exceptions may vary from place to place, IME.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010