Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Steel vs. kevlar cable, breaking strength vs. working load?

On 2011-09-02, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 07:41:26 -0700, chaniarts
wrote:

[ ... ]

doesn't kevlar rope stretch under constant loads? there are many
different kinds of synthetic ropes used in boats in place of rod or
cable rigging.

Ive had poor luck with Kevlar rope in my sailboats here in the desert,
particulaly during the hot summer months. Rig tight and a half hour
later..stuff is slack.

I just *have* to ask -- what do you do with a sailboat in the
desert? I presume that there is some water somewhere within trailering
range, but at today's fuel costs, I would consider it not very
practical.

Granted -- I love sailing -- but I did it on my father's boat on
the Chesapeake mostly, and those days are long gone now.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564