Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
John Bryan John Bryan is offline

Default Cleaning Alkaline Battery leakage

In message . com
Mike Lane wrote:

john east wrote on Sep 2, 2011:

Small torch forgotten in a rucksack, has had a leakage from an Alkaline
battery. Is there any easily available household chemical that I am best
using to flush the torch out with. Thanks.

The electrolyte in alkaline batteries is potassium hydroxide which is a very
corrosive alkaline (like caustic soda - sodium hydroxide). Presumably a mild
acid such as vinegar or citric acid would be best to flush it out with.

I agree and use lemon juice then cotton buds soaked with electrical
solvent.

--
John Bryan