Young_carpenter

Default First career, last career

education, education, education.
Places like stew-mac make kits and sell them but they often offer wood,
parts, books, plans etc. on the subject
Check out www.Musickits.com (I think that's right)
www.Internationalviolin.com is a supplier of luthier/parts and educational
material.
Think about starting with a non-violin instrument like a Lap Dulcimer, an
instrument cheap to make and hard to mess up.
try a few other links too
http://www.graffiti.it/violin/welcome.html (this may be dead)
http://www.markedwardsviolins.com/
http://www.centrum.is/hansi/
http://www.violink.com/ (may be dead)

There are a few who have messed around with violin making on
rec.music.makers.bowed-strings. There is a instrument making group too I
just can't remember the name.
As for financing see if there are any friends in the area who have "always
wanted to play a _________" and see if they will pay for the kit or
materials or something.
Band saws and maybe a table saw are the main power tool. Various planes,
finger planes, hand saws, and a few unique [to the instrument] tools make up
99% of the rest. oh yeah and the bending thingy

--
Young Carpenter

plenty of practice, and you usually make way more noise than intended"

{Put the fiddler back "on" the roof to reply}

--

"Howard" wrote in message
My first career was playing my violin with the El Paso Symphony.

I would like my last career to be *making* violins. I have only the
rudiments of a shop, and some hand tools.

So, what could I do to move incrementally toward my goal of making
wooden acoustic musical instruments? I have a budget of maybe $1000
per year.

http://freshcoffee.opportunity.com
http://freshjava.opportunity.com