Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default OT Who changes their motor oil at 3000 miles?

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 23:36:38 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote

I don't have a problem with people doing extended changes.
Their call.
But it's really unwise to tell folks to do extended oil changes when
you don't know what the results of that will be for them.

Just as it is financial interest the overriding reason the oil change places
slap that 3000 mile sticker on the windshield. They don't care how you
drive, they just want the money. Best to read the manual, assess your
driving conditions and make an informed decision.

I was talking about people here flatly saying that it's okay to do
6-8000 mile oil changes without knowing the driving circumstances.
I change my own oil and jot down miles.
When my work schedule had me at the lube places their stickers worked
for me. Nobody is forced to follow their schedule.
Extended oil changes are a marketing tool as much as 3000 mile
stickers.
It's not unusual to see people plunking down +$30 for a car, including
$thousands for a trim package, then crowing about how they only have
to change the oil every 10k miles for a huge savings of what - 30-80
bucks a year?
And some cars are now requiring synthetic.
In some of their cars Toyota requires synthetic and still wants 5000
mile oil changes!

As for cost, I drive 25000 miles a year and get maybe 4 changes versus 8 at
3000 miles.

My car is driven 12 miles round trip a day, 5 days a week for
commuting.
That's 3120 miles a year, max speed is 40, mostly 35, all stop and go.
Average about another 25 per weekend for shopping and visits.
1300 miles a year, 90% max speed is 40, mostly 35, all stop and go.
Once a year I put on about 2500 highway miles on vacation.
At my destination I drive about another 200, stop and go.
This year I'll add a 1000 mile trip for a wedding to that.
That's a bit over 8000 miles this year.

This car is a 1997 Lumina with a 3.1 and 160k miles on it.
I agree about reading the manual.
Mine says that this qualifies for the short trip schedule.

"Most trips are less than 5 to 10 miles (8 to 16 km).
This is particularly important when outside
temperatures are below freezing."

I live north of Chicago and we have freezing winters.

"Every 3,000 Miles (5 000 km): Engine Oil and Filter
Change (or 3 months, whichever occurs first)."

So I'm following the manual pretty close.
I change more like every 4 months.
BTW, for mostly highway driving the manual recommends the 7500 mile
changes you do.
So that's at least 15 years GM has been recommending this.
My next car will probably be a Chevy or Buick with the oil sensor and
no schedule. It'll be interesting to see how that works.

--Viic