Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dean Heighington[_2_] Dean Heighington[_2_] is offline

Default Drain trace heating

A.Lee wrote:

The easiest solution would be to put a 'T' piece into the existing pipe,
not far from when it leaves the boiler. On the T off, put a iso valve,
easiest would be one with a handle, then put a hosepipe after that into
a bucket beneath the boiler.

Then when freezing weather is expected, you can connect the hosepipe,
site the bucket and open the valve. Your condensate will then run into
the bucket, and you wont have a frozen pipe.
Cost of parts £10ish, 30 minutes to fit it, 2 minutes to set it up
whenever needed. 2 minutes to change it back.

No ongoing cost of heating a waste pipe.

I cannot see any other cost effective measure to cure it.
Alan.

Yes I could only see this way as a cheap solution too. Not convenient but
if expense and site conditions prevent another solution then this is the
path of least resistance

Also, some councils may permit condensate drains to a soak away but do any
allow basin waste into one as this situation has?

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com