Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Who changes their motor oil at 3000 miles?

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 10:04:55 -0700 (PDT), ed_h wrote:

That gap seems to have
closed these days, but perhaps there's a lot of inertia left in the
system - 3000mi changes used to be the norm in the US, so that's what's
still advised even though modern engines don't need it.

So you know better than the engineers who designed the engine?

At risk of harping:

The engineers that designed my engine say to follow the advice of
their oil monitoring system
The oil monitoring system on my car usually tells me to change at
7000-7500 miles.
I'm a typical driver whose driving includes some of the items on the
so-called "severe service" list

In effect, the engineers who designed my engine are telling me that,
for my driving, 7000-7500 miles is appropriate.

....and that has to do with JR's second-guessing, how?