Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default In-car video camera?

In message , John Williamson
writes
Simon Cee wrote:
Had a crash on Monday, thankfully a fairly minor one. Driver pulled
out of side road without looking, and I have a few witnesses so I'm
hoping the claim process should be so straightforward.
Trying to describe events to the insurance company is a bit of a
nightmare however, so I was wondering if there are any cheap and easy
to use cameras that can record an entire days travelling [up to
4hrs?]. Ideally battery-powered, and with a decent endurance. Just in
case similar happens again it would make the whole process a lot more
straightforward plus we seem to be "blessed" with a loss of fraudulent
cash for crash scams around here recently, so that would help protect
against these cowboys.

http://www.roadhawk.co.uk/?gclid=CNv...FYYmtAodUEM90A

I don't know how much use it would be, we have four external and a
couple of internal cameras on our buses, and it's amazing how often the
details needed by the police and insurance company are missed by all of
them.

Maplin used to sell one that held the last 90 minutes of video on an SD
card, stopping recording when it was turned off. It's probably
stillavailable, but not from Maplin.

Of course, for catching accidents, you don't really need hours of
recording time. All you will need is continuous recording, with storage
medium being constantly overwritten, and keeping only the last few
seconds of the journey (well, a few minutes would be nice). I'm sure
such devices exist.
--
Ian