Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default Steel vs. kevlar cable, breaking strength vs. working load?

On 8/31/2011 3:39 PM, DougC wrote:
For a project I can use either kevlar cord or thin steel cable.

The breaking strength for a given diameter (at least in the small sizes)
comes out very very close to each other: in one instance, .31" steel
cable was rated at 184 lbs, while .3125" kevlar cord was rated at 175 lbs.

Everywhere that sells the stuff usually gives the breaking strengths of
both, but not the working loads.

From other places online I gather that the typical rated working load
for steel cable is 20% of the breaking strength. Is this assumption
reasonable?

And what is the % for kevlar rope? The same, or higher or lower?

(-I know that there are other factors like kevlar's higher price, lower
abrasion resistance ect, but those aren't significant in this instance-)

doesn't kevlar rope stretch under constant loads? there are many
different kinds of synthetic ropes used in boats in place of rod or
cable rigging.