Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Cement placer

Harry K wrote:
On Aug 30, 10:59 pm, Evan wrote:
On Aug 31, 1:24 am, wrote:

I'm trying to put a fan into a 12-inch thick brick wall. Diameter is
about 8 inches. Naturally I don't have an 8 inch masonry bit (and I
wouldn't like to pay the cost) so the next best thing is to cut
through enough bricks to make a squarish hole though which the fan
will fit. But that leaves small gaps on each side which I'd like to
fill in with mortar. I should also mention that I can only get to
the inside; the fan (really the vent part) is lowered from a higher
floor using a string duct-taped in place. When it's where I want it
one strong tug and it's free. So I have to push the mortar in from
the inside and it's a pain in the butt. Push as far as possible
using hands and then use a dowel to push it all the way and
hopefully compact it.

Well there's actually a miniature tool that I could use to do the
job. You know when you have a filling at the dentist: he does his
drilling and then uses a thing that looks like a tube with a piston
inside to place the amalgam in the cavity. He then tamps the
amalgam down with another instrument.

Upsize that tube with a piston to 1/2 inch (or maybe have a range of
sizes from 1/2 to 2 inches), pack it with mortar and then push the
piston home to place the mortar deep into the hole. Now where can I
get such a tool?

On the off chance the OP is not a troll, the OP should learn how to
use cold chisels to properly cut through the concrete block in order
to create the desired shape and size of opening needed...

Yet another fabulous example of someone making a mountain out
of a mole hill...

Why make a round hole for something in a concrete wall when *I*
don't want to pay for someone with the correct size concrete
hole saw to come out and make the cut... Surely there is no other
way to make a round hole in a concrete block wall other than using
an mighty expensive drill bit... Then let me concoct the most
"rube goldberg-esque" manner possible to pack mortar into the
gaps *I* never should have created in the first place...

~~ Evan- Hide quoted text -

I defy _you_ to use cold chisels and make a neat hole through an
existing wall either brick or block.

As for the OP. Without a hole saw you are going to come out with one
ugly, ragged, oversized hole.

Michalangelo carved "David" with a cold chisel and a mallet.

'Course he was working in marble, a medium softer than concrete (I think).

Plus, he was Italian...