Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Odd behaviour of brazed joint

wrote:

Silver-soldered to be precise.

One of the bars of the stainless steel BBQ grill detached itself at
one end from the stringer (I hope I am making myself clear, not too
sure about the correct terminology). The spot weld simply gave way.

I silver-soldered it back into place using Extra-Easy. On first
inspection a good joint, could not force it apart.

After several BBQ uses during which the grill is subjected to far less
stress than when I was testing the joint, the latter gave way.

I cleaned the whole thing with Dremel using a wire brush and sanding
drum. I re-soldered the joint. Same wire, same flux, both work fine
elsewhere. On testing the joint was fine but gave way again after 3 or
4 BBQ uses (the heaviest pressure on the grill is when cleaning it).

I had a good look this time with a magnifying glass: The joint gave
way on the bar, there seemed good adhesion on the stringer. I
re-cleaned etc. and re-soldered with particular attention on heating
the strut preferentially. I am waiting to see if I am third time
lucky.

What puzzles me that the joint would deteriorate with relatively light
use. The BBQ temp does not reach anywhere near the melting point of
Extra Easy (1150F). Is this a case of repeating heating and cooling
cycles which stress the joint? Has anyone seen this elsewhere?

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

You don't specify what kind of BBQ, charcoal burns at around 1,200F, and
my IR gas grill burner at 1,100F.