Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Included angle of drywall screw head?

Drywall screws probably aren't a good choice for much more than wood or
their intended use (although they do self-drill thru fiberglas nicely).
The bad feature of most DW screws is that they're brittle, and just snap.

I prefer to use decking screws (for wood projects), which will typically
bend before breaking, but testing a chosen brand? (likely to be imported) is
probably a good idea.

The way the heads are transitioned from the shank isn't very consistent for
either type.. there may be a radius as mentioned, or a combination of a
countersink that blends into a tapered section.

You've neglected to mention what materials are to be fastened, but quality
countersunk-head machine, sheetmetal or wood screws will likely have more
accurate/better matching head geometry for a machine-cut countersunk hole.

If this fastening task is related to an earlier situation of applying a
thin, hard skin over a soft substrate, I'd expect DW screws to be about the
worst choice.

--
WB

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Dayum.... google has not been my friend.... nor Bing....

I found the included angle of bugle head drywall (60-63 deg, fyi), but not
of regular head drywall screws.

The reason I'm looking is to get the right spot drill or c-sink... MSC
carries 82 deg spot drills, as well as a variety of other angles.

Not all FH screws are 82 deg... I was informed that metric FH are in fact
90 deg, some sheetmetal stuff 100 deg, and some aircraft stuff 120 deg.

Which also raises the Q: where did 82 deg come from? 90 deg shore makes
sense to me!!
--
EA