Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default O/T: And The Creek Keeps Ris'n

On Aug 31, 2:21*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 8/31/2011 11:57 AM, Robatoy wrote:

On Aug 31, 7:39 am, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet *wrote:
On 8/30/2011 7:54 PM, CW wrote:

On 8/30/2011 11:07 AM, Leon wrote:

Was in Harley heaven country all weekend ... Ozarks in central Arkansas
... and wishing, once again, that I had replaced my Sportster after it
had been stolen some 30 years ago.

Borrow or rent one on a rainy day, the though of that always keeps my,
"getting yet another bike", wishes in check.

Or, you could do what I did. June 16 of this year, I was riding my Dyna
when some fool in a car wanted my lane and didn't seem to care that it
was occupied. I really don't remember much until I was on the ground
sliding along watching my bike ahead of me. When it bounced of the curb
HARD, I thought, "this is going to be expensive.
After coming to a stop, I started to check myself out. Everything was
fine until I lifted my left leg. The lower part of the leg had a curve
in it and my foot was pointed in the wrong direction. The doctor quit
counting pieces of knee and bone at 60. At this point, a wheelchair is
my main transportation. Doctor seems to think that I should be walking
by the end of September.

Damn CW, is that where you have been??? *I only laid a bike down once.
I forgot to put the kick stand up and while turning left and exiting a
sandy spot in our parking lot I went over with the bike. *My left foot
was busy kicking the stand up and was not available to catch my self and
the bike. *I was doing about 4 mph and felt like an idiot.

Idiot you say? At age 14 I was out riding in the dunes on my dirtbike
(125ccJawa). Figuring I would take a shortcut across a field, I came
upon an irrigation ditch which had a beefy plank across it, I'm
guessing 2x12. Not very long. I put my bike down and walked on and
jumped a little, seemed sturdy enough, so got back on my bike and
decided to take it easy across the plank.....mistake. Halfway across,
I came to the sudden realization that there was no place, on either
side of the plank, to put my feet.
Going too slow to get any stability from my bike, I decided I better
gun it and speed up as I was careening to one side and my rear tire
couldn't get any grip on the mossy, moist plank, until the knobby tire
did get a LOT traction on the edge of the plank...almost rack-and-
pinion like. The bike launched to the right, Robbie launched to the
left, into the ditch, which, as luck would have it, had only a couple
of feet of water, but a very deep, muddy bottom. I gently edged my way
to the plank, which I could barely reach and pulled myself up. And
STINK!?!? The bike made it to the edge of the ditch and was happily
idling and churning the backwheel in the same stinking muck, awaiting
further instructions. I rode that plank on the way back with a LOT
more speed.

Yeah'but you were 14, I was 26? *;~) *I recall riding similar nasty
drainage ditches on my bicycle at 14.

BTY how are you getting along these days? *Hope your mind is at ease.

Angela is a tremendous amount of support and so are my friends.
Tomorrow (Thursday evening) we are having visitation. We are feeding
the guests those nifty dutch pastries that my mother used to get from
this little bakery and we are using the same plates and mini forks
when we're serving them up. Then the funeral is Friday morning. My
nieces from Olathe, Clearwater(Wichita) and Stockton MO are flying in
along with their dad (deceased sister's husband). That bunch always
puts a smile on my face. Karl & Linda were kind to send me one of her
songs: Let Her Go Gently....we ordered extra tissues. My daughters
from Toronto are coming and bring their mom (my ex... some things
transcend everything.)
So... busy, lot of support, and by Saturday I'll be able to breathe
again. I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to recharge my
batteries for a week with good friends in the freshest air on the
planet.
Thank you for asking. (Genuine, not in sarcasm mode...LOL) (Probably
didn't need to clear that up... I was going to edit that line out, but
I had already hit the 'send' button..)
..
..
..