Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Heinisch scissors and New Jersey USA

Ned Simmons wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 23:07:13 +0100, David Billington
wrote:

I was talking with an antique restorer I know here in the UK earlier
today and she was doing some upholstery with a very nice pair of
scissors. On close inspection they were made by Heinisch in Newark New
Jersey and appeared to be in very good condition. A brief search seems
to say that Heinisch was taken over by Wiss around 1915 so these
scissors are potentially quite old but in very good condition. She
acquired them from a house clearance sale some years ago. The earlier
search seemed to show that Wiss made scissors identical to the Heinisch

from the pics I found so maybe they kept on making the same tools with a

different makers name, that happens sometimes and other times the old
makers name is continued. Any ideas what happened in this case. Also I
have a set of Wiss aviation snips, is this the same company?.

That name sounded familiar. Shears like the bottom pair?
http://www.nedsim.com/news/Shears.JPG

Yes those are the ones or very like them. In my search yesterday they
seemed to make them in different sizes but the same basic style.

The top pair, though not as impressive in their construction and
finish, are my favorites. I had never bothered to look them up before,
but found this reference. The shears are marked with the image of
Saturn with GENIUS underneath.
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im...-Bly4.jpg#file